Christmas always conjures up memories of good food. The moment one talks about Christmas you think of Roast Turkey, Ham, yummy bakes, Rum Balls, Yule Log, Dundee Cakes but the most popular Christmas dessert would be Christmas Cake.
The recipe for Christmas cake or rich fruit cake varies from place to place. Lots of recipes call for soaking the raisins and fruits in alcohol for months together.
I’m bringing to you my version of Christmas cake which does not need pre-soaking and the results are very satisfying. So, come join me in celebrating the most festive season of the year. Seasons Greetings & Merry Christmas.
- 2 tbs Cocoa Powder
- 3 – Egg
- 100 gm Butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 cup Prunes
- 4 tbs Raisins
- 4 tbs Black Raisins (Sultana)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Cup Fruit Peels
- 1 cup Maida
- 1 cup Almond Meal (Almond dust/Flour)
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- ½ cup Honey
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- 3 tbs each Kahlua and Rum
- Heat oil in a pan. Add butter, honey and orange juice.
- Add the orange zest, cinnamon powder, cocoa powder and brown sugar, add the Kahlua and Rum.
- Add the Fruit peels, Raisins, Black raisins and Prunes into the pan. Boil this mixture and keep it aside.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs. Add the flour, Cocoa powder, Baking soda and Almond meal to this and mix well.
- Add prepared fruit peel and alcohol mixture to this. And mix again.
- Pour this into a cake mould.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour at 180 degrees.
- Take out of the oven once done and serve.